Hispanic Communications Network (HCN) seeks a highly driven Program Coordinator / Certified Translator to join our growing team. As a Program Coordinator, you will partner with program management, creative, production and strategy teams across integrated communications, marketing and advertising initiatives with significant impact that span the government, nonprofit and philanthropic sectors with one mission: to improve equity, access, and inclusion for US Hispanics/Latinx populations. Program Coordinators are highly organized and accountable leaders, who are able to build relationships and collaborate with/draw on the expertise of HCN’s resources and capabilities. Majority of the Program Coordinator’s focus will be on written and visual Spanish-langauge translations. These are culturally driven adaptations of copy/language, images and user experience — which we call “TransCreations”. The ideal candidate is passionate about solving our clients’ challenges with strategic and creative in-culture and in-language solutions. Clients choose HCN because we help them increase their impact to improve quality of life for Hispanics/Latinx living in the US.
- Personally translate/TransCreate a variety of marketing, communications, outreach materials, including but not limited to video and radio creative scripts, digital collateral, social media, website and mobile app content, media pitching materials, PPT presentations, partnership outreach elements, and other multimedia materials and assets.
- Ensure an audience-driven approach to all TransCreations, including but not limited to HCN’s priority groups: 1) consumer audiences, such as immigrant populations, essential workers, 65+, sandwich generation 35-64, young adults 18-34; 2) stakeholders such as community- and faith-based leaders and advocacy groups; and, 3) healthcare providers such as physicians, nurses, and community health workers / promotores de salud.
- Execute an audience-first approach for all TransCreations in order to have the most impact with audiences, and meet their needs ranging from plain language (3rd grade literacy level) to technical medical professions and cultural regionalities among diverse Hispanic populations.
- Apply solid understanding of current trends as it relates to US Hispanic/Latinx integrated marketing and advertising trends, as well as health communications to all written and visual TransCreations.
- Leverage strong background in both Spanish- and English-language usage and grammar rules related to marketing, advertising and health communications industries with a serious eye for nuances, natural flow and detail.
- Proof, translate and maintain the Spanish-language style manuals that work to convey the proper message for our clients.
- Support the client services lead in managing client objectives, expectations and timelines and communicating changes/directions to internal team members, including internal TranCreations reviewers.
- Work with the business development team to vet and qualify project and scope of work to types of TransCreations involved, including identification of potential project risks and developing contingency plans.
- Develop a standard process for all TransCreations projects, including but not limited to workflow, staffing and scoping, timelines and standard formats for presenting work to clients. Work integrally with all internal team members to facilitate the process of developing effective strategies and briefs that lead to the highest quality and timely output.
- Present HCN’s TransCreated content and solutions to clients and answer questions regarding solutions offered.
- Support the client services lead in developing and maintaining high levels of team effectiveness (trust, communication, collaboration, productivity, diversity, engagement) and setting client expectations.
- Support the client services lead and senior team in researching, writing, and overseeing the development of communications campaign materials including brochures, videos, web copy, social media, memos, etc.
- Assist in media relations efforts and partnership outreach.
- Participate in additional HCN efforts as needed.
- Proactive team player with the ability to multitask and problem solve in a fast-paced environment with shifting deadlines, priorities and types of creative work requiring original TransCreations from English to Spanish and QA.
- Solid understanding of current trends as it relates to integrated marketing and advertising trends, as well as health communications.
- Native Spanish-speaker (speaking, reading) with full fluency in Spanish and English, with extensive vocabulary in both languages. Ability to handle both technical terms for B to B audiences, as well as plain language for audiences with a 3rd grade literacy level.
- Familiarity with Word and Adobe software and basic word processing skills.
- 3+ years of advertising agency TransCreations and proofreading background preferred; previous proofreading or related QA experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in relevant field: English, journalism, computer-related, advertising.
- Be able to work independently and with a team. Some independent judgment is used in carrying out responsibilities within established guidelines.
- Advertising, marketing, and/or PR agency experience strongly preferred (internships experience is accepted)
- Proficient in writing, media, and research skills.
- Excellent Spanish and English grammar skills to provide precise, sensible translations of both languages that are as close as possible to the speaker’s actual word arrangement, while suggesting departures where need to be to resonate with audiences from a cultural perspective.
- Superb detail-oriented “eagle eye” skills.
- Demonstrated capability to get things done on budget and on time
- Accountability and calm, confident presence.
- Fully bilingual in Spanish and in English, with native Spanish-language proficiency with superior writing and verbal skills in both Spanish and English.
- Minimum of a BA/BS degree in Marketing, PR, Journalism, or any related field.
- Certification by DSHS, American Translators Association (ATA) OR have obtained a university degree in Language Translation or Applied Linguistics; AND Have a minimum of 3 years verifiable experience providing document translations.
- Understanding of regional variations of Spanish is a plus.
- Knowledge of medical and research terminology in Spanish is a plus.
- Passion for and experience in US Hispanic/Latinx issues.
- Superior organization and exceptional attention to detail.
- Self-starter, proactive, able to work independently and in team settings.
- Ability to multitask and meet fast deadlines, including 24-hour turnarounds.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Highly organized and able to document information.
How to Apply:
Submit a customized letter of interest outlining your unique value proposition to HCN / La Red Hispana, as well as your CV, proof of certification, and portfolio via email@example.com with the subject line: Program Coordinator / Certified Translator.