Hispanic Communications Network (HCN), a social impact full-service agency, and our La Red Hispana public-facing multimedia production and syndication networks, deliver culturally driven marketing and communications solutions for clients who share our mission: to improve quality of life for Hispanics/Latinx living in the US. HCN seeks a recognized and seasoned leader to oversee the pursuit of strategic business opportunities within the US government. The Senior Director of Business Development will oversee all aspects of new business identification, qualification and capture as a prime contractor and subcontractor for federal government agency accounts including, but not limited to, HHS, USDA, DOJ, DOL, DOD, HUD and DHS, as well as state and local governments.
The Senior Director of Business Development for Government (SDBD) will be responsible for helping to drive the overall new business revenue generation strategy and execute an actionable roadmap to success. This position leads the development of gap analyses, competitiveness assessments, key win themes, price to win and overall win strategy/ value proposition. The SDBD serves as the lead architect for external teaming arrangements and team partner roles to include identifying, selecting and recruiting teammates, subcontractors, and suppliers. This person will report to and work in close collaboration with HCN’s executive leadership, Program Managers/Directors, and staff in identifying and qualifying new business opportunities.
The right person will devise appropriate strategies to ensure contract wins through active, strategic, tactical, and hands-on developmental roles in all facets of the new business acquisition life-cycle and proposal development. The SDBD will orchestrate timelines, identify and recommend allocation of resources, and monitor and summarize progress of new business pursuits. This person must build and maintain working relationships with potential customers, team members, vendors, and other departments involved in pursuit activities. They will prepare reports and briefs for the executive leadership team regarding status of pursuits, including preparation of Opportunity Briefs, Gate Reviews and participation in the Monthly Pipeline Review generated by the Company’s CRM platform (Salesforce).
The ideal candidate for the role is also highly strategic and experienced in developing and implementing an integrated strategic internal and external communications plan to advance the business’ brand identity, broaden awareness of our capabilities, and increase the visibility of our offerings across key stakeholder audiences as the go-to Hispanic/Latinx-serving agency for positive social impact and behavioral change.
- Develop and qualify a new business pipeline on annual, quarterly and monthly bases for opportunities
- Build and execute a call plan
- Identify and capture new business by leveraging knowledge and contacts within the Federal marketplace
- Lead, manage and diligently use CRM system to capture and share all customer relationship data and lead management activities
- Develop a capture plan for opportunities identified and qualified
- Meet with potential customers frequently to introduce HCN’s capabilities, determine client needs and challenges, and offer potential near-term culturally driven solutions
- Identify potential teaming partners and build integrated teams in both the Prime and Sub positions on substantial new programs
- Track the status of potential opportunities and be responsible for updating the status of all pipeline opportunities within their assigned accounts
- Research and qualify opportunities within existing/new customer base and utilize the individual’s personal contacts to identify potential business opportunities
- Lead the initial investigation under the capture umbrella; develop capture plans, call plans, and focused presentations to prospective clients
- Once a business opportunity is identified and qualified, lead bid/no bid decision process and assist in proposal coordination on those opportunities identified for bid submission
- Work with executive management to determine teaming strategies and meet with potential teaming partners
- Lead the preparation, writing, review and submission of technical and price proposals
- Apply federal acquisition skills to additional new revenue opportunities in philanthropy, nonprofit and CSR private sectors
- Work closely with executive leadership to supervise, manage, inspire and mentor small teams of talented cultural communications professionals.
- 8 years business development as either a manager or business developer\sales executive in the Federal Services market, either in an agency or corporate setting
- Creative thinking on competitive positioning, win strategy, themes, and discriminators
- Extensive experience evaluating and recommending key teammates and partners, along with determining a teaming strategy to optimize value
- Ability to translate business objectives into actionable plans
- Expert verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, plus the ability to work on cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated experience in driving strategy and leading small teams.
- Creation of branding and marketing concepts in collaboration with branding and marketing team members
- Mastery of Salesforce, Google Analytics and low-cost / high ROI federal acquisition/capture tools is a plus
- Experience working on social impact / behavior change, public health and serving at risk populations accounts is a plus.
- Specific experience with HHS agencies is required
- Managed at least 3 winning procurements with individual values greater than $2M
- Proven experience in increasing revenues on BPA and IDIQ contracts as well as cooperative agreements and discretionary grants (small, medium and large average value $5M-200M)
- Direct experience managing GSA schedule, including modifications, maintenance of SAM.gov and leading renewed GSA schedule contracts
- Understand the target client market and culturally driven marketing, advertising, PR and communications services required by Federal customers
- Experience with Federal acquisition processes
- Strategic thinking and decision making to maximize probability of win
- Capture management experience
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills with all levels of company and customer management
- Superior personal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to write well and adapt information into required formats for documents
- Successful multicultural and/or communications and marketing services Business Development experience
- Substantial relationships with Federal Government agency personnel
- Deep marketing, advertising, PR and communications industry contacts
- Superior writing and verbal skills in English; Spanish-language proficiency is not required.
- Minimum of a BA/BS degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or a related field
- Passion for and experience in US Hispanic/Latinx issues
- Superior organization and exceptional attention to detail. Self-starter, proactive, able to work independently and in team settings.
How to Apply:
Submit a customized letter of interest outlining your unique value proposition to HCN / La Red Hispana, as well as your CV, salary history, references, and links to digital and social media from your professional or personal portfolio via email@example.com with the subject line: Senior Director of Business Development.